Friday, July 15, 2016

The Skating Competition by Grace LaTourelle

I took a deep breath and stepped onto the ice. This was my last private lesson before I would skate in my first figure skating competition in three days. I’d like to say I wasn’t nervous, but that would be a complete lie. My heart was beating right out of my chest I was so scared and it had been that way for a few weeks when I found out the date of the competition.

I skated out to my coach Susan. “How are you feeling Grayson?” She asked me, smiling.

“Nervous, scared, excited,” I counted off.

She told me to take a few laps around the rink to warm up. When I was done with that, I ran through my program. Then I talked with Susan about little things I could touch up and then I did it again. We did that for the next hour. Run through program, talk, run through program, talk, and on and on and on and on.

When I got off the ice, my feet ached. I wiped off my blades and put on my soft guards. Then, I took off my skates, put the in my skating bag, and walked out of the arena.

At school the next day, I went around to my friends which of them could come to my skating competition. Turns out four of them, Lee, Rene, Rainy, and a friend from skating who wouldn’t be skating in the competition, Kate. I was so excited that my friends were coming to watch me skate and, hopefully, win!

So, on the morning on the competition, I got up early and my mom and I drove to the skating rink. We unloaded my bag that had my cosmetics (yuck!) and my outfit which was tights and a midnight blue, velvet, long sleeved skating dress. Then, we got out my pink skating bag that held my skater, soft guards (which were used for soaking up extra melted ice that could make the blades rust!), hard guards (which were used for walking around in while I have skates on!), binder that had my whole routine in it, two thin pairs of colorful gloves, and my offical member black skating jacket that I would wear for warm up.

I pulled my skating bag into the community center and arena while Mom carried the bag with my outfit. I couldn’t help feeling the tiniest bit excited when I stepped through the doors. Today was my day and I was going to give it my all and win the competition!

We walked until we found the room that my mom and my other skating friend’s mom were volunteering in. My division’s competition wasn’t until the afternoon so I had plenty of time to walk around and look at all the trinket’s they were selling.

“Here,” Mom said, handing me a 20 dollar bill. “You may buy one thing to have as a souvenir!”

I walked alone to the room where they were selling things. When I got in, I saw a ton of skaters I knew.

“Oh hey, Jocelyn!” I said to a fellow skater as I passed by her. She was looking a warm pair of mittens that looked quite comfortable.

“Nice outfit Marie!” I said to another girl while she was checking out the plushies that had mini figure skates on their feet.

In the same room, I saw the podium and the picture booth where you stand on the podium or the floor (depending on which place you got) and have your picture taken with your group you skated against. There were several girls in brightly colored outfits, weeping and hugging people. I really hoped that that wouldn’t be me in a couple of hours. There were also quite a few girls who were talking excitedly to people, holding tall trophies. That was the girl I wanted to be after my competition. The one who did the best and won the judges’ hearts.

I passed by it and kept on looking. I passed a booth with skating quotes on pins, a booth with jewelry, and a booth with skating dresses before finding what I wanted. It was a kind looking lady who was selling puffy soft guards. My previous sofy guards were getting a little tattered and there was a hole at the top end of each of them where the toe pick had pierced it. I walked up to her.

“Hi!” She said to me.

“Hello! These are cool soft guards!” I said politely, picking up a pair with tiny red and pink hearts on it.

“Thank you!” She replied. “So, you’re a skater? What level are you in?” She asked me.

I set down the guards with hearts on them and picked up a pair with insects on them. “I’m in freeskate four,” I replied. Then I added, “But I’m really close to passing this time!”

She laughed and said, “Well, good luck!”

“Thanks!”

I continued to look at the different patterns on the soft guards. Finally, I saw a pair that I wanted. I picked them up. They were covered with dogs, hearts, and the word woof!

“How much are these?” I asked the lady.

“Twenty-five dollars!” She replied.

I sighed looking at the $20 in my hand. Then I said to her, “I’ll be right back, could you please hold these for me and make sure nobody else takes them?”

“Sure dear!” She said.

I said thanks and hurried out of the room.

“Mom,” I said when I had ran down the long hallway and back to the room Mom was working in. “Could I pretty please have just five more dollars to get a new pair of soft guards? You know how badly I need them!”

She sighed and handed me a five dollar bill.

“Thanks Mom! You’re the best!” I called, running out of the room.

I then arrived back in the banquet area (as the sign on the door said) and bought the dog soft guards. Then, it was finally time to get into my costume and meet my coach for a quick warm up before the competition.

Mom handed me the big bag and I hurried off to the bathroom to change. After I was done putting on my tights, dress, and over-the-boot tights that I let dangle on my tennis shoes, I ran back down to the opposite end and into the arena where the freeskate 3 programs were happening at the moment.

“Hi Grayson!” Susan greeted me. “Ok, I want you to go through your routine.”

So, off to the side, while the second-to-last person in that group performed, I practice my whole routine. I was so ready for this!

I quickly laced up my skates while that last person performed and put on my jacket and gloves. Then, I pulled my over the boot tights over my skate. Then, my whole group went out onto the ice to warm up and practice our routine.

I was the leader while six other girls followed me doing two laps around the rink. Then I quickly ran through my routine. The announcer then announced it was time to get off. We skated off the ice. I took off my jacket and gloves. It was almost time.

I was the third to go on out of seven girls competing. After a tall girl with red hair went and a short girl with blond hair went, I was up. I skated out to my place like my coach had told me to do. I took my position with my right arm up and my left arm by my side. My music started. I pivoted in my spot then skated off. I did a ballet jump and circled around the side. Everything was going as planned.

After my music stopped, I bowed and skated off the ice.

“That was wonderful!” Susan exclaimed.

I smiled. First place here I come! I thought.

I watched the other four girls in my group skate, then headed out of the arena. My friends and parents, who had been watching from the stands, eagerly greeted me in the hallway.

“Great job honey!” My dad said to me.

“That was really good!” My friend Lee exclaimed.

“Yeah! I really like your dress!” Rainy told me.

My mom handed me a bouquet of roses and said, “That was really good sweetie!”

“Thanks guys!” I replied.

We waited out in the crowded hallway for the results to get posted. Finally, a lady wearing a black and white dress, her sleek black hair pulled back into a bun, came out. I recognized her to be one of the judges helper. She posted a blue sheet on the wall. I ran up to it, stumbling a little bit since I still had my skates on. I had to stand on my tiptoes, or, toe picks to see over the other girls. I found my name at the bottom of the list next to the number seven. My heart sank.

I walked back to my parents and friends who were smiling.

“What place sweets?” Mom asked.

I almost couldn’t answer for fear if I opened my mouth, I’d start bawling and that is something I didn’t want to do in front of my friends. “Seventh,” I said, my voice trembling.

My friends’ faces frowned. “Well, that’s ok! It was only your first time!” Rene said, trying to comfort me.

“Yeah, whatever,” I said angrily. I just wanted my friends to leave. I didn’t want them here anymore, assuring that everything was ok.

“Let’s go into the ballroom to get your pictures,” Mom said softly.

“I don’t want some stupid pictures!” I told her.

She frowned and lead me into the ballroom. When I walked in, some of the girls were already there. A photographer handed me a small trophy that said, “Competitor” on it. I was just a competitor. Not first place or even third, just competitor.

“Ok girls, let’s take your pictures!” The photographer said in a cheery voice when everyone from my group was there.

She had the girl who won first place stand on the highest step on the podium. Then, the girl who won second on the second highest step, and then the girl who won third on the lowest step. The remaining girls were placed around the podium on the ground.  We all held up our trophies. She said smile and snapped a few pictures.

Finally, it was over and I rejoined my parents and friends. One by one my friend’s parents came and picked them up. Once they were all gone, I changed back into my regular clothes and Mom, Dad, and I walked out of the community center.

“You know Grayson,” Dad said to me. “You win some you lose some!”

And at that moment I decided that I wouldn’t ever lose again. I’ll show those judges who really deserves first place, even if it means a lot of practicing. But I won’t ever give up until I win!

No comments:

Post a Comment